Sunday, May 4, 2008

'Tis SO Sweet

Since around February there has been a recurring song in my life. It's the old hymn "'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus" over and over this would come up at church, in chapel, walking through a building, in classes...really, truly everywhere. And every time it just made me really emotional. Probably because of the whole stepping out after graduation deal. I want to know what really trusting Him looks like. And I know that's a dangerous thing to ask, but I really do seek after it. So whether it's figuring out moving hundreds of miles from my family or going to opposite hemispheres, yeah there are anxious feelings that well up, but this song keeps bringing me back to center.

Being the google nerd that I am...I found out a pretty amazing story about it's composer. The song was written by a woman, Louisa M. R. Stead. Out of one of her darkest hours—the tragic drowning of her husband.
Louisa Stead was born in England. She felt the call of God upon her life for missionary service. She arrived in America in 1871. In 1875, Louisa married a Mr. Stead, and to this union was born a daughter, Lily. When the child was four years of age, the family decided one day to enjoy the sunny beach at Long Island Sound, New York.
While eating their picnic lunch, they suddenly heard cries of help and spotted a drowning boy in the sea. Mr. Stead charged into the water. As often happens, however, the struggling boy pulled his rescuer under the water with him, and both drowned before the terrified eyes of wife and daughter.
And out of her struggle with God during the ensuing days, flowed these meaningful words—“Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus.”
Taken from: (http://www.tanbible.com/tol_sng/tissosweettotrustinjesus.htm)

God has put some huge opportunities ahead of me. They are so much bigger than who I am, but I pray that through it I learn over and over how to lean on Him.


’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus, And to take Him at His Word; Just to rest upon His promise, And to know, “Thus says the Lord!”

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him! How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus! O for grace to trust Him more!

O how sweet to trust in Jesus, Just to trust His cleansing blood; And in simple faith to plunge me ’Neath the healing, cleansing flood!

Yes, ’tis sweet to trust in Jesus, Just from sin and self to cease; Just from Jesus simply taking Life and rest, and joy and peace.

I’m so glad I learned to trust Thee, Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend; And I know that Thou art with me, Wilt be with me to the end.

1 comment:

Joy Cash said...

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Of course you have me bawling! No surprise there! Anyway, I want you to know that I am so proud of who you are and who you are becoming and can't wait to see how God blesses you on your journey!

You know I'm praying for you - about NZ, your life, well...everything.

All my love,
Joy