Saturday, May 3, 2008

Something New...

Well, I never post on this, but as I am approaching on this new season of life I'm realizing I need to try to keep up with it more so that I keep in contact with so many of you! So, where to start on the updates...

I had a great senior year at IWU. I lived with some of my closest friends and made new and I have so many memories from it that are still making me laugh. A few of us went on a cruise to the Bahamas (it was WAY cheap or we wouldn't have done it...much love to travelocity) for Spring Break and that was amazing! On the way down and back we stayed with a couple friends, Adam and Mindy Pierce, in Atlanta as they were gracious enough to let 4 college girls all over their home for a few days. It was a fun time to see them again after their time in Sri Lanka.

Now prior to this time I was really thinking I would probably be working at IWU after graduation...like so many do, and work as an admissions counselor. After all, I had worked there a few years as a student worker, so it seemed to make sense, right? Well, as we left this trip and were driving out of Atlanta, I continued feeling the presence of the Lord pressing me to seek out Atlanta further. I was there on a mission trip in 2002, but other than that had few connections to ministry there. I just kept praying about it, asking virtually every trusted person in my life what they thought about the idea, and googling like crazy. I had no ideas or plans, but there was an overwhelming peace that I should be there. So, I emailed random ministries and they forwarded to other ministries and before I knew it I had a road trip planned with quite a few meetings. While school was still in a couple pastors from 12 Stone, a Wesleyan church just outside of Atlanta, came to interview some students for intern positions at their church. A lot of people had told me to check it out, but for some reason I wasn't sure I wanted to. After about a 20 minute conversation with them my entire mindset was changed. Which...if you've had a taste of my stubbornness doesn't happen easily. :) So, I was really beginning to see that the it was the Spirit nudging me here.

April 26 (this past Saturday) I graduated from IWU with degrees in Adolescent Ministry and Intercultural Studies. As of Monday, I drove to Atlanta to seek out opportunities there. I met with various ministries Tuesday and Wednesday. Each one of them I felt like I could do, but in praying about them there was nothing pulling me toward any of them. Wednesday afternoon I met with Miles, the college/intern pastor, had some good meetings and decided to stay Thursday for their college service and to hang out with his amazing assistant, Stacey, for lunch. Talking with people I've heard a lot of good about the church, but so much of it was confirmed being there. I can't explain it, because I know it's not a me thing. All this to say, last night (Thurs.) Miles offered me a position there as an intern. I will be working with the Community/ Global Outreach area of their ministry for the next two years. The move will probably happen around the second week of August, so I'm still around for a little bit. It seems like a really sudden decision from the outside, but this is something God has been solidifying in my heart for longer than I can even tell you. How incredible that God even cares about my peace of mind that I could know this before I leave for a month...just amazing.

Tuesday (May 6) I leave to lead a team of 7 IWU students on a mission trip to New Zealand and I will be there until June 3, then doing a couple youth camps for Indiana North in Fairmount the second and third week of June, and a missions trip with Voices of Power to Philly in July. I'm hoping to have some sort of moving away party in late July so look forward to details for that! In the mean time, I'd love to be able to see you and hang out! Thank you for coming by my blog...leave a comment and let me know you were here. :) Blessings, Cami

1 comment:

Cindy Burchell said...

What an exciting adventure!!! I will be praying for you this summer as often as I think of you. Remember to take loads of pics and don't forget to journal. Thanks for the e-mail too!
Love ya!
Cindy Burchell